Sunday, October 20, 2013

 

 The World on a String



Bunraku puppets from Japan.

           
          Take a moment to close your eyes and think of the word “puppet”. Did Ernie and Bert or Cookie Monster pop immediately into your head? Did the characters Tokubi and Ohatsu, Mahabarat, or Punch and Judy come to mind? More than likely you thought of the stars of Sesame Street or the Muppets. I am arguing that, “The popular perception of puppetry today is of Disneyesque entertainment for children, akin to animation. We don't always remember its layered history as a sacred ritual, and sophisticated art form: China's pi ying xi, Java's Wayang, Japan's Bunraku, or bommalattam back home” (“When puppets came alive”).
 


Puppets from the author's personal collection:
Wayang Golek rod puppet upon his horse from West Java (left),
two Pi Ying Xi shadow puppets from China (center)
and a Kathputli string puppet from India (right).



             My theory was later confirmed by Jacqueline Marks, CFO of The International Puppetry Museum (IPM) in Pasadena, California. When I asked her if puppetry is appreciated around the world by a larger adult audience more so than it is in the United States she responded with, “You are correct! International puppetry is much more sophisticated” (Marks). Has this always been the case? Is this peculiar to American audiences?


German-born master puppeteer Bernd Ogrodnik of Iceland
with his hand-carved marionettes.


             Twenty years ago, I stood backstage with master puppeteer Bernd Ogrodnik after one of his awe inspiring shows. He shared something with me that turned out to be the seed for this essay. He said, "I performed this same show in Germany to an audience of five hundred people. In the United States I only attract twenty and mostly children." At the time, I had only ever performed in front of not more than fifty people. I found it to be remarkable that puppetry could reach such a large gathering.


Children at a Parisian puppet theatre, 1963.

          While puppet plays are somewhat foreign to American adult audiences the puppet shows they do see, they tend to think of as purely children's entertainment. “Puppetry tends to get relegated to the children’s department somewhere downstairs in the back of the library” Wayne Kefting, president of Puppeteers of America. “It really isn’t a kiddie show, but it’s a real theatrical art” (Fox). Bart P. Roccoberton, director of the Institute of Professional Puppetry Arts at the Eugene O'Neill Theater Center concurs, "Puppetry is not just for children.” He adds, “In other countries, people have a better sense of what puppetry can do" (quoted in Battista). I will examine this dichotomy and illuminate how puppetry is a true art form.



 
 
Reference

Battista, Carolyn. "PUPPETS ARE NOT JUST FOR CHILDREN ANYMORE." New York Times 17 Mar. 1985. Academic OneFile. Web. 20 Oct. 2013.
Fox, Margalit. "Title: George Latshaw, 83, Dies; Made Puppetry Into an Art." The New York Times 24 Dec. 2006: 27. Academic OneFile. Web. 17 Oct. 2013
Document URL
Marks, Jacqueline. “Puppetry Question(s).” Glenn Lash. Email. 20 October, 2013.
"When puppets came alive." The Hindu [English] 2 Oct. 2010. Academic OneFile. Web. 20 Oct. 2013.


Author as Sir Reginald Tickleton III 1/2.
A treat for those of you
reading to the end of my post.
Today's Puppet Song Selection:

 

 
 

 


 






 



4 comments:

  1. Blog 1 Review:
    1. The topic sentence I feel is not a strong one. However, it is somewhat of an attention grabber.

    2. The post has some support in there. The quotes offer a lot of support also in this post. I would like to see more support in this post.

    3. I do not see any transition words in this post.

    4. There are properly cited quotes in the post. There is also a reference page to go along with the citations. There is one quote that I feel was not integrated too well. Otherwise good use of quotes.

    5. There are few to none grammar or spelling errors in the post.

    6. I see some strong arguments in this initial post but not many. I look forward to more as we move to the second post.

    My one compliment is that this topic is very unique, creative, and intriguing. My one suggestion is just to make sure you have enough supporting details to go along with your posts. This will really help when it comes time to write the essay. Very unique topic!





    ReplyDelete
  2. • Topic sentence
    I really like the way you started, but, I will say that it is not a topic sentence by the definition in the class. As a fellow adult student I think we both know that phenomenon.

    • Support
    There is good support throughout the post.

    • Transitions
    The post flowed very well and was an easy read.

    • Quote (in "quote sandwich" format with proper MLA citation)
    The quotes were not all properly cited. Some of them were missing the parenthesis around the citing.

    • Grammar and spelling
    I did not notice and grammar or spelling issues.

    • Strong argument
    The arguments are mainly coming from quotes.


    Really nice work on capturing your point. The only suggestion I will provide is that, at times, the abundance of the quotes got in the way. Trading some of them out for some historical factoids might make the post a bit stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Topic sentence
    I disagree with all the comments made. I think the topic sentence says it all and is strong enough.
    Support
    I see that he worked on the support. There’s quotes that were supported properly.
    Transitions
    I am not so sure if I see one but correct me if I am wrong.
    Quote
    The quotes here were properly cited in MLA format. Good job, Glenn!
    Grammar and spelling
    There are few to none grammar and spelling errors in his post.
    Strong argument
    I am not familiar with this topic at all but I can see where you are going and I feel like there will be strong argument to your topic.
    Compliment and suggestion
    Have you heard of the song “HUMANS” by the Killers? They talk about how people are like dancers or like a puppet just doing what others wants them to do. Your puppet reminded me of that song. It is very interesting and unique. Suggestions? More pictures, that’s all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Topic sentence: I really like the intro. Even though there is no strong topic "sentence" there are enough information that support your idea and that can cover the topic sentence.
    Support: I see some supports he made.
    Transition: No strong transition word but that makes it easy to read.
    Quotes:Some quotes were not properly cited but most of them are
    Grammar and spelling: I don't see any errors.
    Strong argument: There are some strong arguments. Those are mostly from the quotes.
    Compliment and suggestion: This is unique and different topic. And really good job on bringing out your idea. only one suggestion is backup your idea a little bit more:) It was really entertaining to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete